The Governance of Northwest School of Medicine is under the control of Board of Governors (BoGs). The BoGs consists of 15 members including professors, technocrats, educationists, advocates and social workers. The BoGs has given the Principal/Dean appropriate financial autonomy/authority and control over the NWSM and its attached teaching hospitals, so that he can function as the chief executive of the institutions.
Role of the Board of Governors (BoGs)
- Plan strategic direction of the institution, through approval, monitoring and review of the strategic (i.e. corporate) and operational plans.
- Ensure the financial, health, solvency of the institution and safeguard the estate and other assets.
- Approve medium term financial strategies and annual estimate of income and expenditure (the annual budget).
- Monitor financial performance against budget.
- Review and approve annual accounts and financial statements.
- Ensure the existence of an effective internal control framework.
- Review and amend employment policy.
- Appoint, appraise, suspend and dismiss any senior post-holder, if necessary.
The Principal is the academic, administrative, and financial head of NWSM. He/She is responsible for smooth functioning of school in accordance with the guidelines of PMC, University and institution’s rules and to meet international standards.
- Represent NWSM at the Board of Governors & other necessary forums.
- Supervise all academic duties in the institution and deals with the matters of academic interest in the institution at all times.
- Draws and promulgates the detailed teaching program for students through Medical Education Department & decisions of the academic council in accordance with guidelines and directives of PMC/HEC and international bodies.
- Develop and implement policies concerning academics in accordance with the requirement of MBBS programmes, as determined by PMC, University, and international bodies.
- Develop and implement policies concerning administration of the institution.
- Constitute and supervise various committees for smooth running of academics / administration and to meet the requirements of PMC, University, and international bodies.
- Constitute and supervise various student bodies essential for perfect grooming of the students.
- Advises the Board of Governors on opening new departments and academic services.
- Supervise school’s expenditure and exercises financial power as delegated by the Board of Governors / Chairman BoGs.
- Approve the agenda and Chair the Academic Council meetings.
- Along with the Vice Principal (Academics), sign and issue academic certificates in respect of the Students & Faculty.
- Presides over various academic functions of NWSM.
- May have the authority and control over the attached teaching hospital and may function as its Chief Executive.
- Is approving authority for the college; can hire, can terminate and can approve invoices as per policy.
- Shall ensure that the faculty and students have time for research.
- Shall ensure development of faculty by making available appropriate opportunities.
- Shall be responsible for ensuring compliance of all PMC regulations and for the supply of correct information as and when required by PMC.
- Ensure the compilation of all medical education and research data in the institution.
- Carry out all other duties that may be entrusted upon him from time to time by the Board of Governors.
The Academic Council consists of Professors and Heads of Teaching Departments, NWSM Alumni, and faculty representation. Its prime responsibility is towards the academic / administrative policies and practices of NWSM. The Principal of the school chairs the council. It ensures:
- The timely formulation, completion and conduction of academic policy and calendar for the students.
- Lays down policies for clinical / academic governance.
- Develops and supports faculty and students’ development programmes.
- Determines the requirements of medical education, evaluation and research in the light of rules and regulations of PMC and University.
- Sets standards and targets for medical education and research for each department.
- Facilitates the development of the College learning resources including library and IT support.
- Prepares and submits an annual performance report about the school at the end of each academic year.